Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Run with Me

So....I decided it was time to dust off my running shoes (actually...I just bought new ones instead of dusting off the old) and start training again! As soon as I got back from my trip to San Diego, I booked another ticket to go back out there....but this time it is to run the San Diego Marathon with Jaime.

Oh...The thought of pounding against the pavement for 26.2 Miles is scaring the crap out of me. As much as I wish running was easy for me....it just isn't. Every single time I put on my running shoes, I have to tell myself that I can do it. It doesn't matter if it is a short run or long run....I always seem to be giving myself a little pep talk before I hit the streets.


Everyone always asks me why in the world I would ever want to run that much....and there really isn't just one answer. It makes me feel good, It keeps me healthy, It's a challenge, I feel like if I can do this then I can do anything. It's a lot of reasons. When I come home from a long run and my legs are tired and sore, I feel great! (tired, but great!)



I'm not a very good runner. I'm slow and it takes me a lot longer than I would like. But I have to remind myself of how far I've come. Myra reminded me of that tonight when we were talking about our first 5K back in the summer of 2005 (click here to read about it). Myra and I decided to take up running one summer and our first run out we couldn't even make it a mile. But quickly we built up to a mile and then 2 and before we knew it we were signed up and ready for our 5k.

Running that race was one of the best feelings ever! I never really thought that that I would run a 5K or actually come to enjoy the torture of running! Fast forward about 3 years and I decided to do the unthinkable (for me, anyway) and sign up for a half marathon....in freakin' China!



It was one of the best experiences of my life! I learned that anything is possible. And if I could do it, anyone could do it. And now that I'm back to training again...I'm trying to remind myself of that and of how great it felt to finish that race and cross the finish line. Waking up Saturday mornings to go out for a run of 10+ miles will probably never be easy for me....and I just hope when my runs get up to 20 miles that I can do it! 20 freaking miles! That's forever!! But if I plan on running any kind of marathon in Antartica next year....I sure as hell better be able to run a marathon in San Diego!
So, here is to running and the good feeling you get from letting your feet hit the pavement over and over again..! So....Get our your running shoes everyone and come run with me...

7 comments:

Myra Bybee said...

Thanks for the shout out! And I am so proud of you and your running accomplishments!

willreidsmith said...

I wish I could run...

Iris said...

Wahoo! You will love it! I cry at the finish line each time =)

Holly Harris Murray said...

Good Luck Christine, I KNOW you will do it...I have seen you run and your determination in the race and you WILL cross that finish line! Great Goal!

Janet said...

Woo hoo Christine!... Here's to running! love that after-a-good-run feeling!

Anonymous said...

realy your blog is very nice, and i want to talk with you more..
here my msn; i have a lot things to tell you.
vivalet40@hotmail.com
thxxx
jamal

Anonymous said...

realy your blog is very nice, and i want to talk with you more..
here my msn; i have a lot things to tell you.
vivalet40@hotmail.com
thxxx
jamal