Thursday, January 19, 2012

December 2010 - Home for the Holidays!

I decided to go to Montreal for the holidays for Christmas 2010! And spent most of my time with these amazing parents of mine...





It was my first time home for the holidays in quite a few years. We normally all meet in Texas since a majority of the family live there now. But my parents were going to stay in Montreal and I thought it would be nice to be where there is snow for Christmas...
And snow there was! Sharon - one of my bffs - was in town for the Holidays as well! I love getting together with her because we can always pick up where we left off. Anyway - we decided to take advantage of the snow and we hit the slopes....


I also decided to take advantage of the snow to try out this new purchase of mine......

I figured that I should do what I can to run in the snow when I have snow thinking ahead to that crazy marathon I signed up for in Antarctica. So I did a couple of 4-5 mile runs while I was in Canada. It was about 18 degrees Fahrenheit which should be similar to what I get in Antarctica (assuming there is not a windchill that drops it another 10-15 degrees). It was so bad. The snow slowed me down - but it didn't feel as cold as I thought it would. So that was good.


I took this picture on one of my runs... In Quebec, we turn all the park basketball courts into Hockey rinks for the winter. So the guys play pick up hockey instead of pick up basketball. Actually when we were younger, there were a few years that we turned out backyard into a skating rink. That was fun..

Christmas was pretty low key at home. It's a little different when you don't have the nieces and nephews getting up early and excited that Santa came! But we still had a nice time together.


We had our traditional Christmas breakfast. And mom made that delicious Swedish Sweet bread that she makes every year. LOVE this stuff. Definitely a tradition that I'll keep in the family.


Then we opened presents. Mom got a macbook from Dad. Hmm.. present for her or for himself? Not sure. :)

After we opened presents and relaxed a little, we went over to Sharon's family for Christmas dinner. They are good friend's of our family so it was nice to celebrate the holiday with them!


And a few days later... like always... we celebrated my birthday! We went to dinner and then had some cake! (This picture just didn't want to rotate).


I finally tried making Lauren's popcorn caramel cake that she usually makes around Christmas time. It was delicious!


And no trip to Montreal is complete without some of my favorite foods....


Like Montreal Smoke meat at the Snowden Deli.. with delicious fries. And of course there is some vinegar on those fries! yum.... my mouth is watering just thinking about this meal.


And a trip to "La Belle Province" for some poutine and a couple of Hot Dog "Steamés".... [which are way better than Brazillian hot dogs if you ask me].

And of course some Ketchup chips!!!....

No comments: