Monday, June 27, 2011

October 2010 - The Race

The reason we went to Athens was to run the Athens marathon. THE marathon. The run that the marathon is named after. It starts in Marathon, Greece and ends at the Olympic stadium in Athens.


It was a bummer when I pulled out my bib and knew that I wouldn't be wearing it on race day.


I debated right up until I had to make the decision if I would still do it. But I thought that after not running for pretty much 2 months straight since I hurt my foot that it would probably be a bad idea to make my first run a marathon. So I opted on the 10K instead.



Of course Camille and most of my new friends were running the full. So, I went to the start of the 10K solo and ran through Athens. It was challenging running a 10k after not running and I knew I made the right decision by opting out of the marathon...






Some people really get into the Roman spirit..


I found Camille after she finished the marathon...


Camille ran with Beth the whole way.. We met Beth the night before at dinner.


All of us together again at the hotel......


One of the best parts about going on these international marathon trips is the people you meet! Somehow the night before the race we ended up going to dinner with a big group that was staying in our hotel:


To my left was Chuck (aka: "Marathon Junkie") who at the time had ran well over 200 marathons and had won (yes, won) 100 marathons! To my right was Don... the director of the Grand Rapids Marathon who had also ran well over 200 marathons. He's even ran the Antarctica marathon 3 times!!! He runs a marathon at least every month sometimes back to back weeks. And Beth sitting next to Camille just won a marathon for her first time a couple of weeks ago! Crazyness! I was in awe! I love hearing about all their races on FB!

Camille has met up with Beth a couple of times to run some marathons. And we both met up with Lesley and Andy for the Disney marathon weekend!



It's just so great to be able to travel half way around the world and meet such awesome people that become such good friends! It's honestly one of the best parts about these trips!

No comments: